Drawbacks of Google Keyword Planner:
- In contrast to the keyword tool, users are required to log in to an AdWords account to access the planner.
- The planner doesn't have match type data for search volume.
- The filtering option of “closely related” search terms has completely vanished.
- No Global vs. Local monthly searches.
Some positive traits of this tool:
- The keyword planner allows local SEM and SEO professionals to get more geographic segmentation and the ability to bundle geographic regions.
- Users now will be able to upload keywords upto 10,000 belonging to their own list to get performance data.
- Keyword planner will show search volumes from landing page, ad group or any other category set by the user. However, there is still a dispute over the difference in search volume data between the two tools, with the elimination of two key sources, match types and device types. This is explained by Google as below:“In general, you’ll notice that the average search volume data is higher in Keyword Planner as compared to the exact match search volume data you got with Keyword Tool. That’s because we’ll show you the average number of searches for a keyword idea on all devices (desktop and laptop computers, tablets, and mobile phones). With Keyword Tool, we showed you average search volume for desktop and laptop computers by default.”